Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: FREAKIN CRAP

  1. #31
    Inactive Member Galactus the Planet Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Leegeta:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Peter Peeker:
    but wanting to bash their faces into the floor because they speak Spanish?

    that's a bit much.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Peeker, i'm just joking, i wouldn't bash their face into the floor, the wall maybe
    [img]wink.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can't judge whether Leegeta needs to be defended, but I've got to say something. What I like about this format is that at most, we know who is male or female. Sure some of you have met, but mostly I have no idea whther you are white, black, chinese, etc. I'm hispanic. Maybe I should not have said that, but I'll be the first to say in general hispanics need better education. I've always felt somewhat alone, especially in my fied, healthcare, where few hispanics are in management positions. I have two masters and nearing a PhD. Exception to the rule no doubt.

    As we all know, the education of many WalMart employees is nothing to be excited about. And this is regardless of whther they are black, white, hispanic or Japanese. That will never change. Leegeta, I've gotten the impression all these months on the board that you are a nice person. Whatever you said does not offend me, I caught your drift. We've all had our encounters with employees who, regardless of their "Americanism" are clueless as to what Spawn even is.

    I've wanted to strangle some of these people, even hispanics. C'est la vie. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member chaserfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2004
    Posts
    12,399
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    truthfully I think that if you move and become a citizen of any country you should learn the language before being allowed to become a citizen. so if I moved to Japan then yes, I should learn the language before getting a job and living there. thats just my opinion though. I know as a medic, its very hard to find out what is wrong with someone when they speak zero english. Its dangerous to their health and well being as others to not speak any english and living here. I'd say the same if I went to live in mexico or something

  3. #33
    Inactive Member 0193081's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2004
    Posts
    3,000
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't think I've ever come across somebody who didn't understand me. I rarely can't understand somebody else, and even then it's just due to a heavy accent.

  4. #34
    Inactive Member The Cheshire Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2004
    Posts
    1,544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The place I work at gets a lot of Mexicans coming in to shop, and there's always one of two scenarios that happens that I don't understand...

    1...they start talking to me in Spanish, I look at them confused, then they realize that I don't know what they're saying and they try to speak English to me...

    2...They ask me if I speak Spanish...I know people can know more than one language, but the chances of a Chinese guy knowing Spanish enough to understand what it is you're looking for is kinda slim...

  5. #35
    Inactive Member Shypappette's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2004
    Posts
    2,006
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by chaserfan:
    truthfully I think that if you move and become a citizen of any country you should learn the language before being allowed to become a citizen. so if I moved to Japan then yes, I should learn the language before getting a job and living there. thats just my opinion though. I know as a medic, its very hard to find out what is wrong with someone when they speak zero english. Its dangerous to their health and well being as others to not speak any english and living here. I'd say the same if I went to live in mexico or something
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Becoming a citizen is one thing, but you don't have to be a citizen in order to get a job. Lots of people move to the States or Canada because they are getting away from a horrible situation, looking for work and a better life. I think it's stupid if you've been living in a country for 5 years and still don't know the language, but many people working in places like walmart are relatively new to the country. I'm not saying that there aren't people out there who just don't try. There are tons of lazy assholes out there. But unfortunately you can't really tell someone's situation right off the bat.

    On a side note, isn't the United States a bilingaul country? Shouldn't everyone know english and spanish?
    Maybe that's some myth I heard up here in the great white north. We're bilingual, and I can't speak french fluently that's for damn sure!

  6. #36
    Inactive Member sculpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    8,165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not to sound like a xenophobe, but why should I have to be able to speak Spanish to buy something in a store here in the states. There've been more than a few times where if I didn't know some Spanish, I wouldn't have gotten what I wanted. That's kind of backwards to me.

  7. #37
    Inactive Member Tortricidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Shypappette:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by chaserfan:
    truthfully I think that if you move and become a citizen of any country you should learn the language before being allowed to become a citizen. so if I moved to Japan then yes, I should learn the language before getting a job and living there. thats just my opinion though. I know as a medic, its very hard to find out what is wrong with someone when they speak zero english. Its dangerous to their health and well being as others to not speak any english and living here. I'd say the same if I went to live in mexico or something
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Becoming a citizen is one thing, but you don't have to be a citizen in order to get a job. Lots of people move to the States or Canada because they are getting away from a horrible situation, looking for work and a better life. I think it's stupid if you've been living in a country for 5 years and still don't know the language, but many people working in places like walmart are relatively new to the country. I'm not saying that there aren't people out there who just don't try. There are tons of lazy assholes out there. But unfortunately you can't really tell someone's situation right off the bat.

    On a side note, isn't the United States a bilingaul country? Shouldn't everyone know english and spanish?
    Maybe that's some myth I heard up here in the great white north. We're bilingual, and I can't speak french fluently that's for damn sure!
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not sure if america is a bilingual country. now that I think of it, I don't think america even has an "official" language. though recently I have noticed that more and more places here in kentucky have started putting things in spanish as well as english. the signs that hang above store aisles, menus, ect, because there are a lot of mexicans here. they come to work at the horse farms and such. and a lot of grocery stores have also started putting in sections that have mexican food, hair products, drinks, and various other things.

    I can understand the frustration of dealing with someone that does not speak the same language that you do, but like you said, a lot of people are still new to america. and a new language isn't something you learn overnight. I only speak english, and limited turkish. I tried to learn french from one of those audio tape things, but it didn't work out very well for me. I think the only french I know is how to say "hello. my head is made of cheese". I'm not even sure where I picked that one up.

  8. #38
    Inactive Member Leegeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2004
    Posts
    1,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Galactus the Planet Eater:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Leegeta:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Peter Peeker:
    but wanting to bash their faces into the floor because they speak Spanish?

    that's a bit much.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Peeker, i'm just joking, i wouldn't bash their face into the floor, the wall maybe
    [img]wink.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can't judge whether Leegeta needs to be defended, but I've got to say something. What I like about this format is that at most, we know who is male or female. Sure some of you have met, but mostly I have no idea whther you are white, black, chinese, etc. I'm hispanic. Maybe I should not have said that, but I'll be the first to say in general hispanics need better education. I've always felt somewhat alone, especially in my fied, healthcare, where few hispanics are in management positions. I have two masters and nearing a PhD. Exception to the rule no doubt.

    As we all know, the education of many WalMart employees is nothing to be excited about. And this is regardless of whther they are black, white, hispanic or Japanese. That will never change. Leegeta, I've gotten the impression all these months on the board that you are a nice person. Whatever you said does not offend me, I caught your drift. We've all had our encounters with employees who, regardless of their "Americanism" are clueless as to what Spawn even is.

    I've wanted to strangle some of these people, even hispanics. C'est la vie. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just want to say thank you for not taking what i said the wrong way. Trust me, i am in no way a rascit, i don't hate spanish people, i don't hate blacks. If any one else on this board is Spanish, i apologize if you are any way offended, but i don't want anything i said taken the wrong way. I just have a problem with not having someone help me with a particular product without having someone not understand what i am saying and tell me "oh i dont understand english"

    Yes, it is a hard language but if your working in Wal-Mart in america, your going to have americans come inand speak english, not everyone is going to speak spanish. It's annoying, but this is america, i've learn to accept it, but when i comes to spawn figures, i want someone to understand me [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Galactus Planet, by all means, i hope i didn't offend you at all, i respect all nationalities, and if i have, i am so so sorry, i apologize, but i didn't mean what i said to be offense. [img]frown.gif[/img]

    <font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ April 06, 2004 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Leegeta ]</font>

  9. #39
    Inactive Member Galactus the Planet Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by sculpey:
    Not to sound like a xenophobe, but why should I have to be able to speak Spanish to buy something in a store here in the states. There've been more than a few times where if I didn't know some Spanish, I wouldn't have gotten what I wanted. That's kind of backwards to me.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I sort of agree, hear me out. When my parents came to this country nearly 50 years ago, there were no signs in spanish, newspapers or Tv stations in spanish, no spanish classes in school, etc. They had to learn the language and customs to assimilate and survive. I have never agreed with affirmative action, beacause you should get ahead based on your effort and thus merit, not because you're a certain minority. That doesn't mean we should lose customs or heritage.

  10. #40
    Inactive Member Leegeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2004
    Posts
    1,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    See, Galactus Planet hates me now [img]frown.gif[/img]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •